BRUMMIGEM DAWN


     Dawn on the Wyrley and Essington Canal is an essential backdrop at this time of year; even more so amid the current sweltering temperatures. As always it was a pleasure to fish with Paul at one of his favourite spots. Despite being on the margins of the greater Birmingham conurbation it is a most beautiful place with parkland behind and a nature reserve in front. The banks are lined with Lesser Reedmace, which I had never seen before, and dotted with wild flowers including Orchids. Parrots and Kites fly overhead and shoals of Rudd manoeuvre their way amid the Lily pads.


 
     We were really here for the Tench and the Bream hence the early start which paid off for us both pretty quickly. I had a nice fish of 3lbs plus but Paul's was bigger still at over 5 lbs; a venue best for him. Sadly the sun climbed too high, too quickly for our liking and certainly for the fish's as they disappeared into the shadows and stopped feeding.


 
     This gave us a chance to go and look at a small pool hidden in the woods opposite that was stuffed with small Carp and Crucians. As you might expect the carp were an easy catch but the Crucians proved elusive as always. It was another most enjoyable morning's fishing with Paul made even better by the painting that he gifted me before I left. He is a talented artist and it shows in what is an absolute favourite of mine; Wye fields in Winter. I can't thank him enough.



Comments