ON THE BENCH - SPLITS

 

     Splits are a common problem in vintage whole bamboo rod sections. Most of the poles I have restored have had them but they are an easy fix and I have not had one fail on me yet. If a section only has one or two, I am happy to just clean them out as best I can with the point of a scalpel before glueing. If there are many or they are particularly large, it is a sure sign that the timber is under considerable stress perhaps due to drying out or poor storage. In such a case I like to drill a 1.5mm hole at each end of the split to prevent it from running.




   Even if the cane has split, lost its round cross-section and become oval the glue will still replace enough strength to make it usable, but I never try to clamp a split shut or reduce any ovality. Tension in the cane has been relieved by splitting and clamping it back together will only reintroduce stress to it.     



     24 hour standard epoxy is the ideal glue for splits as it not only adheres well to wood, but it fills gaps as well. While pva wood glue will make a fine job of reassembling delaminated built cane it is not suitable for this. I use needlework pins to open the split as much as possible and if I feel there is a danger of the split running when I do so, I bind the pole tightly with insulating tape either side of the crack. 




Having worked the epoxy into the gaps with a cocktail stick, I wrap the whole repair tightly with insulating tape. This isn't strong enough to pull the timber together but it is strong enough to hold it still and force the glue into the cracks. It doesn't stick to the glue either and once removed the minimal surplus can be scraped away with a cabinet scraper. I like to use clear epoxy when I can so that the splits remain visible as they are part of the pole's history.





Comments

Post a Comment