OLD MARMALADE'S NEW ADVENTURE

     I've never fished the pole feeder before but I could see a lot of potential advantages to the method in the current landscape of cold weather and volatile water levels. For a start I have the absolute minimum of line in the water, so not only is less weight required to hold bottom, it is less likely to be caught by debris giving false bites. When it is, you know immediately because one is watching the line where it enters the water anyway.

     By setting up the rig so that the indicator is just above the water, there is no float to catch either debris or turbulence. The soft elastic indicator should allow the fish to encounter minimal resistance when it takes the bait hopefully leading to more positive bites. We would see.

    I have to say that after a slow and difficult morning,  I am smitten. I confess that everything I know about this technique has been gleaned from the internet, but one has to start somewhere. Once I had got the depth and length of my rig sorted I put 3 hard balls of bait just upstream of the pole tip. First drop in, the indicator shot under and I missed.

     I'd started on worm but after two biteless hours thought I'd try a couple of maggots. That triggered some interest and I missed three bites on the trot. Good bites too, no sharp digs on the indicator, just a couple of tugs and then a steady pull. It's a mystery to me how fish can do that. I don't seem to be able to fish at all without the hook catching on anything and everything nearby yet fish can take my bait, swim. Off with it and remain unhooked. The reality is that as a would be catcher of fish, they regularly outwit me with ease.

   Two more hours went past with my bait untroubled. I'd give it one last shot putting four maggots on a 12 then go and blag a coffee off Old Pete. Almost immediately the indicator began bouncing up and down like a drunk teenager on a bouncy castle. I lifted, the line tightened and after a short struggle a splendid roach of 11oz came to the net. I gave it an extra, fruitless fifteen minutes but quit while you're winning is my motto.


    I left with a head full of ideas to improve the rig but the fact that this particular swim might hold a decent roach or two was the most important and pleasing discovery. I shall be back on Monday but the forecast is for freezing conditions so my chances will be slim. I will however be able try out my improved bite indication.  

Comments