ANOTHER TRY




     I thought I'd have another go at trying to catch some silvers on the feeder this morning, some hope. For a start there was an unexpectedly severe frost overnight which probably didn't help. Chub seem less affected by such things than roach to me, although I know George likes a frosty morning for redfins.
I'd changed my terminal tackle around a bit, instead of a straightforward running leger I went for a helicopter rig. Hopefully, the paternoster would give them some leeway before they felt the feeder but I'm not sure it makes that much difference really. They are still going to feel the rod tip just as quickly.


      Of course I only had two bites, neither from silvers, and both were confident but small, slow movements of the rod tip. One came on the first cast of the morning using two pieces of 6mm punched bread on a 14 hook and clearly demonstrated the problem with fishing fine for silvers. It was another really nice chub of 3-3 and the hook was so far down its throat that the disgorger was barely long enough to reach. Nevertheless it came out easily and the fish was safely returned. I doubt I would have landed it on a wand and two pound hooklength.



      An hour before I packed up and two swims later, I had another positive but tiny bite that resulted in the only other fish of the morning, a one pound chub. Success of a sort really but the underlying problem remains unsolved. It's hard to learn anything when you get no bites. Perseverance is key I guess.

Comments